Sports College Status
Gifted and Talented
Army Cadet Force
Gifted and Talented|
Like most schools Ellowes Hall has its share of gifted and talented students. One of our continually evolving targets is to enhance further the provision that we already make for these students.
The school provides activities which extend and enhance learning, providing opportunities for students through subject and cross curricular avenues.
Examples of the current provision at Ellowes Hall include:
Our school’s MIS (Schools Management System) enables all staff to accurately monitor the attainment and provision of the G&T students who they teach. A summary of subject provision is available electronically and parents receive a report if their children have been identified as Gifted & Talented.
- AS level Critical Thinking
- Year 9/10 students visiting Oxford and Cambridge Universities
- Master Classes in many subjects at a variety of FE and HE institutions, for example; workshops at London's Central School of Speech and Drama (delivered by actors from the West End and TV dramas such as 'Holby City' and 'The Bill) and Indonesian Gamelan Music at the Birmingham Conservatoire
- A History Trip to Auschwitz (Holocaust Educational Trust)
- Workshops with the Birmingham Royal Ballet
- Summer school placements at Universities within the West Midlands (where pupils live on campus attending lectures and seminars)
Each year we have a G&T Week whereby subjects focus on activities that provide for the more able student. One of the many highlights of our G & T visits was when our finest mathematicians from Years 11, 12 and 13 visited The National Code Centre at Bletchley Park. Students were able to experience firsthand the mathematics used during the war in deciphering the Enigma code.
"Students take pride in their work and in their school. Students are keen to take on responsibilities and are given a range of opportunities to do so"|
Ofsted, November 2012